Most dental professionals recommend professional teeth cleaning at least once per year. However, if you have a history of gum disease or tooth decay, you may need to get your teeth cleaned more often. Your dentist will be able to give you specific recommendations based on your individual needs.
so How Regularly Should You Get Your Teeth Cleaned?
The answer to this question depends on a few factors, including your age, oral health, and how often you brush and floss.
For most people, the American Dental Association (ADA) recommends regular teeth cleaning at least once every six months. However, if you have certain risk factors for gum disease or other oral health problems, your dentist may recommend that you get your teeth cleaned more often.
Risk factors for gum disease and other oral health problems include:
- Poor dental hygiene
- Crooked teeth or teeth that are difficult to clean
- A family history of gum disease or tooth decay
- Eating disorders
- Certain medications can cause dry mouth
Visit the dentist regularly for teeth cleaning and checkups is important for maintaining good oral health. If you have any risk factors for gum disease or tooth decay, be sure to talk to your dentist about how often you should get your teeth cleaned.
Disadvantages To Getting Your Teeth Professionally Cleaned
While there are many benefits to getting your teeth professionally cleaned, there are also some potential disadvantages. These include:
- Sensitivity: Some people may experience temporary sensitivity to cold or hot temperatures after their teeth have been cleaned. This is usually due to the removal of dental plaque and tartar, which can leave the tooth’s enamel more exposed.
- Damage to tooth enamel: If teeth are cleaned too aggressively, it is possible to damage the tooth’s enamel. This can lead to an increased risk of tooth decay and other dental problems.
- Cost: Professional teeth cleaning can be expensive, especially if it is not covered by dental insurance.
- Since dental health is a factor in how often you should get your teeth cleaned, some information on dental health may be of interest. Dental care includes both the health of your teeth and the health of your gums. Gum disease is the most common dental problem, and it can lead to tooth decay, loss of teeth, and other serious health problems if left untreated.
The best way to prevent gum disease is to brush your teeth twice a day, floss once a day, and see your dentist for regular checkups. If you have any of the risk factors for gum disease listed above, be sure to talk to your dentist about how often you should get your teeth cleaned.
What is Involved in Teeth Cleaning?
Teeth cleaning generally includes the removal of plaque and tartar from the teeth. Plaque is a sticky film of bacteria that forms on the teeth. Tartar is plaque that has hardened onto the teeth. plaque and tartar can lead to gum disease and tooth decay if not removed.
Teeth cleaning also usually includes polishing and flossing of the teeth. Polishing helps to remove any surface stains from the teeth, and flossing helps to remove plaque and tartar from between the teeth.
The teeth and gums are important for oral health. plaque and tartar can build up on the teeth and gums and lead to gum disease and tooth decay if not removed.
What Happens During Teeth Cleaning?
The whole process usually takes 30 to 60 minutes.
First, the teeth are scaled to remove plaque and tartar. Scaling is done with a hand-held instrument called a scaler or an ultrasonic scaler.
Next, the teeth are polished with a rotating brush. This helps to remove any surface stains from the teeth.
Finally, the teeth are flossed to remove plaque and tartar from between the teeth.
After the teeth have been cleaned, the dentist may apply a fluoride treatment to help prevent tooth decay.
What Are the Benefits of Teeth Cleaning?
Teeth cleaning can remove plaque and tartar from the teeth and help to prevent gum disease and tooth decay. It can also help to remove surface stains from the teeth, making them look brighter.
Regular teeth cleanings are important for maintaining good oral health. If you have any risk factors for gum disease or tooth decay, be sure to talk to your dentist about how often you should get your teeth cleaned.
Omni Dental in Arlington Heights
Our Arlington Heights Clinic offers teeth cleaning services. Our dental hygienists are experienced in cleaning teeth and will work with you to ensure that your teeth are clean and healthy.
To make teeth cleaning appointments, please call us at 847-483-8833 or make a dental appointment online here.